Resources for Renters
Many companies are hiring for thousands of unfilled positions. Be proactive!
- Grocers, including Safeway, Whole Foods, etc.
- Delivery companies
- 7-11 announced plans to hire over 20,000 new store employees to meet the increased demand.
- Amazon is hiring 100,000 full- and part-time employees for positions with Amazon Go stores, Prime Now, Whole Foods stores, Amazon warehouses, and delivery drivers with many jobs advertised earning $17 an hour or more.
- Costco is looking to hire hourly workers in its warehouses.
- CVS is adding 50,000 full- and part-time positions across the country to meet the growing demand in retail stores and warehouses as well as customer service representatives. Licenced pharmacy technicians, nurses, and pharmacists are also in demand.
- Dollar General has nearly 70,000 open positions across the country. For now, the roles will be for temporary employees in retail stores and warehouses.
- Home improvement retailer
- Lowe’s is hiring 30,000 workers.
- Walmart is hiring 150,000 additional employees through the end of May. The need is greatest in Walmart and Sam’s Clubs stores and distribution centers.
- Walgreens is looking to fill 9,500 existing full- and part-time roles in stores, with an emphasis on pharmacy technicians, shift leads, and customer service associates.
- Need a job: Click Here to Read More
The County of Santa Clara, the City of San Jose, and Bay Area companies have partnered to help low-income residents
(those making 80% or less of the AMI) pay rent and other crucial bills during this crisis.
Rent Payment Solutions
By CA state law, tenants must declare in writing, no more than seven days after the rent comes due, that the tenant cannot pay all or part of their rent due to COVID-19. Also by state law,
tenants remain obligated to repay full rent in a timely manner and are still subject to eviction after the enforcement moratorium ends.
If paying rent is a problem and you want help from the landlord, provide a statement including:
- date you were last paid
- date you filed for unemployment
- date you expect employment income to resume
- what you're doing now to earn income until your employment resumes
- your specific request to the landlord and how you propose to make it up. Example: "reduce rent by $x per month and I'll repay it by (date)"
During this period, maintenance services are limited to “essential” requests.
To ensure health and safety, when you request service we will ask if anyone in your home:
- is under quarantine?
- is having a temperature, showing flu-like symptoms or otherwise feeling ill?
- has traveled abroad in the last 14 days?
If any of the answers are yes, we won’t dispatch a technician unless it’s one of these emergencies:
- Water leaks
- AC not cooling and outside temperature is over 72 degrees
- Heater not heating and outside temperature is below 68 degrees
- Toilet overflowing or not flushing
- Bathtub not draining
- No hot water
- Garbage disposal not working-if water is backing up in the sink
- Refrigerator not working
- Stove not working
- Broken window
- Broken door
- Electrical power out